Life here, work there, but it is often very difficult for employees to keep a balance between the two. This was definitely a challenge, especially in the home office.
Each of us has only a limited time and energy account available per day. In order to create a healthy balance between work and life, the resources ‘time’ and ‘energy’ must be used in such a way that both areas are supplied equally. Fun plays an important role here – this applies in private life as well as in the world of work.
Definition of work-life balance
The term ‘work-life balance’ comes from the English and describes the healthy balance between work and private life. This includes a job and career on the one hand and a happy family and private life on the other: family and friends, hobbies, health and other areas of life that can look different for everyone.
What role does work-life balance play in everyday working life?
A healthy work-life balance is not just about dividing time evenly between work and private life. Rather, satisfaction in both areas plays a role in the compatibility of work and life. Developments in many areas of life in recent years have played a large part in the fact that striving for a healthy balance between work and private life is becoming increasingly important.
What factors have influenced the importance of work-life balance?
Change in the family: On the one hand, the classic image of the family has changed. It is no longer uncommon for both parents to be employed and for many parents to be single parents.
Often there is also the fact that many have to look after parents in need of care and thus not only have to take care of work, children, and private life, but also of their own parents.
Social structures: Lower birth rates, higher life expectancy, later retirement. Many companies are currently struggling with a shortage of skilled workers. That means more work for fewer people.
Higher demands on a fulfilled lifestyle: A house with a garden, good food, a nice car – if you want to live well, you also need one or more jobs that pay for it. Overtime and high workloads turn a blind eye, which in the worst case can lead to burnout.
Technology and better accessibility: Due to the ever-advancing technological developments, we are always better connected. We can be reached anywhere at any time, so you can check your e-mail inbox long after work or take the last phone call. But also privately, always connected through social media, and being up to date can lead to more stress.
Greater demands in professional life: Sometimes flat hierarchies and the associated higher degree of self-management and personal responsibility can lead to employees feeling overwhelmed more quickly.
What are the benefits of a good work-life balance?
Benefits for employees
- Overall better health by reducing stress levels can lead to less absenteeism.
- Increased productivity and a more positive attitude positively influence the working atmosphere.
- A generally positive attitude and outlook on life
Not only do employees benefit from a healthy work-life balance. If employees have found a good balance between work and private life, this also has advantages for the employer:
- Greater employee motivation and work productivity: those who enjoy coming to work more effectively.
- Higher employee satisfaction and employee loyalty at the same time: Employees who are happier often stay longer with the company or recommend it to others. This improves the image of the job market. The result is better customer relationships and a greater flow of new talent.
- A healthy and harmonious working atmosphere.
What you can do to improve your work-life balance
- Make a list of your biggest “time wasters”. It is important not only to concentrate on work but also on the “life”, since we also spend a lot of time on the phone in our private lives, e.g. making calls or surfing on social media platforms or the Internet.
- Find a balance. This can be a sport you want to practice, a “date night” with your partner or even a weekend trip with the whole family. In short, take your time for the things that are important to you and are fun!
- With a bad work-life balance, your social contacts suffer first, both privately and in the office. Take time to nurture relationships with your friends. However, it is also important to have a good relationship with colleagues and superiors
- Keep your closing time and avoid overtime. It is important to try to keep the areas separate here, do not bring your private life into work and work into your private life. This allows you to concentrate better on your tasks during working hours and then have a clear head and time with your family/friends.
- However, if none of the above has worked, you need to ask yourself a serious question: “How satisfied are you with your job?” Or to put it another way: “Are you in the job you want to do?” Work-life balance and a sense of satisfaction come from loving your job.
Our cooperation with Fit2Work
Because the health of our employees is important to us, we have been working with Fit2Work for a long time. In the beginning, our employees filled out an anonymous questionnaire. An actual analysis was created from the answers. Then there were 2 meetings to discuss work processes and give feedback if necessary. The suggestions for improvement were then passed on to our management team, which dealt with their implementation.
fit2work offers free advice for individuals and companies. For people whose job is at risk due to health problems or who are therefore having difficulties finding a job. For companies that want to promote the workability and health of their employees. All companies with one or more employees can take part in the fit2work company consultation. More on this at www.fit2work.at.
Contact us to get more information.